Oftentimes, we do not see walking as a form of exercise since it is something that we do on a day to day basis. However, the fact remains that this simple movement can significantly improve our health in many ways. Walking is an exercise that is gentle on your joints compared to higher-impact activities like running or aerobics. More than half of our muscles are designed for walking, it’s a natural movement for us human beings that is virtually safe from major injuries.
Here are some reason why you should consider walking as part of your daily routine:
- Clears the mind, reduces fatigue and increases energy.
- Assist in controlling diabetes and reduce the risk of chronic disease, heart disease and stroke.
- Improve bone strength and helps prevent or control osteoporosis.
- Relieves stress and tension.
- Helps in maintaining a healthy weight and a positive body image that will be more effective when combined with proper diet.
Doing regular brisk walking on the other hand:
- Reduces cholesterol and blood pressure and improve overall digestion.
- Conditions your heart, muscles and lungs to work more efficiently
Some other good reasons why you should walk:
- Simple and cheap. Lessons or specialized equipment are not necessary to do it.
- Suitable for anyone without regards to fitness level, gender or age .
- Convenient. You can walk almost anywhere, indoors or outdoors, at any time of year.
- Walking allows you to adapt your effort based on your fitness level as it improves and adjust the intensity of the exercise with accordance to your personal goals.
- Walking can contribute in helping the environment. When you choose to leave your car at home and walk to work, school, or any destination you contribute in reducing the carbon emissions in your area.
- It can be a fun and social activity. A good way to spend time with family and friends.
You can find more studies and articles backed with research about the benefits of walking but the listed items above alone proves how it can have a significant effect on your health. So make sure that you spend at least ten to fifteen minutes everyday for walking. It’s doable people, and It’s for your own good. You just have to do it.